The Scholars Strategy Network is seeking a Federal Policy Manager. This position can be based in either Cambridge, MA or Washington, D.C. The Federal Policy manager will act as the primary liaison between scholars and federal policymakers (including members of Congress, their staffs, and executive agencies). The Federal Policy Manager will also maintain relationships with DC-based leaders in civic organizations and grassroots groups. As an organizer, strategist, matchmaker, and coach, they will help scholars become powerful policy players. The Federal Policy Manager will report to the Director for Policy who oversees the SSN’s federal, state, and local policy activities.
- Manage federal policy relations
- Coordinate the organization’s federal policy activities
- Serve as the primary point of contact with Congressional offices, federal agencies, civic organizations, and other entities
- Arrange opportunities for scholars to develop relationships with federal policymakers and civic organizations
- Prepare scholars to speak with federal policymakers, staffers, and leaders of civic organizations
- Prepare scholars to testify before Congress
- Coach national working groups of scholars on how best to engage in the policymaking process
- Develop new policy initiatives in partnership with scholars and other staff
- Meet with scholars to develop relationships and identify ways in which they can make a difference in the policy process
- Oversee the organization’s compliance with lobbying and electioneering rules
- Track relevant policy debates for both short- and long-term projects on various issues
The successful candidate will be dedicated to SSN’s mission and fully understand how to make use of SSN’s structure as a voluntary, federated network of member researchers. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, able to work independently – and also comfortable with frequent day trips between Washington D.C. and the Boston area. Other travel to SSN regional chapters and events will sometimes be necessary as well.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 3 years of relevant experience, or 1 year of experience and a relevant advanced degree
- Extensive network of relationships with DC-based federal policymakers and staff
- Experience working with policymakers from both parties
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Superb interpersonal skills; must be comfortable engaging with diverse external stakeholders
- Experience working on federal policy
- Knowledge of the legislative process and of regulatory procedures
- Intellectually curious, quick learner
- Able to understand and translate research into clear language that works for policymakers
The base compensation for this position is $60,000. Any offer of employment will take into account the particular candidate’s skills and experience. The Scholars Strategy Network offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance; a generous 403(b) plan; and generous paid time off.
How to Apply
Send cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Paola Maynard-Moll, [email protected] and use "Federal Policy Manager – Your Name" in the subject line. Applications are rolling. An offer will be made as soon as the right candidate appears.
People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and women are encouraged to apply. SSN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity.